Recycling is on the Rise
Plastic bottles are the most commonly-recycled household plastics. One report, “Plastics Recycling Collection: National Reach Study” found that 94% of Americans have access to plastic bottle recycling. In 2012, plastic bottle recycling reached nearly 2.8 billion pounds, a 30.5 recovery rate. That same year, collection of high-density polyethylene (HDPE #2) bottles reached one billion pounds, boosting the HDPE bottle recycling rate to 31.6 percent. This marks the 21st consecutive year that Americans have increased plastic bottle recycling.
Support this positive recycling trend. The following resources can help:
- All Plastic Bottles reviews ways to increase collection of plastic bottles in recycling programs.
- The National Association for PET Container Resources (NAPCOR) provides resources and information that support recovery of PET packaging (including bottles)
- This 2012 report quantifies the amount and rate of plastic bottle recycling
- This 2009 report includes recycling rates for PET bottles (and other PET containers)
- Increase Collection Rates
- Bottle Recycling Education